A smörgåsbord of awesome reads from the last few weeks. Enjoy.
- We’re running out of helium because the government is selling the stocks at way low market prices. Once we run out, we can’t make more, and it actually has industrial uses. The next cheapest place to get it is the moon.
- The Longevity Project: Decades of Data Reveal Paths to Long Life. Surprising insights into what really makes us healthier.
- Finally a good explanation of the natural log (think about growth). This has been killing me for years.
- Robert Shiller explains the pension system in farm terms.
- What Inflation Means to You: Inside the Consumer Price Index. A great breakdown of our nation’s measurement of inflation.
- The triumph of coal marketing. How many people die due to nuclear power every year?
- What can good self-esteem do for you? It can make you more money.
- Redesigning Banking with Behavioral Economics in Mind. A couple of MBA students figure banking should be about the customer. Wonder how long that will last. I hope forever.
- Sensuous Value is the Worst Kind. This was written by one of my favorite bloggers and was the inspiration for my post called Touchy: Humans Are Too Tangible.